Home Mine 1930 Census SSDI People Places Families CTHS 1962

Timeline of Nemacolin, Pennsylvania and the
Buckeye Coal Company

Year Month Day Description Source
1900 November 23 The Youngstown Iron Sheet and Tube Company is created.  
1917  May    Mine construction by Dravo Corporation begins.  
1917  October    Installation of a hoist with an incline from ferry landing to playground.  
1917  October    Construction starts on Addition #1.  
1918  March    14 houses (1st Addition) ready for occupancy.  
1918  May    37 houses (1st Addition) completed.  
1918  May  1  Completion of Nemacolin Hospital.  
1918  November  21  First coal taken out of the slope portal.  
1918  October  22  Opening of the temporary hospital for Spanish Flu.
1919      Nemacolin Community Band - led by John (later Frank) Descaro.  
1919  September  1  Nemacolin Elementary School begins classes 1919-1920.  
1920  July  9  Construction of Amusement Building begins.  
1920  March  16  First railroad car of merchandise arrives.  
1920  March  24  Construction of Addition #3 on Old Side.  
1920  March  30  First railroad car of coal loaded.  
1920  November  3  Construction begins on 20 houses in the 4th Addition (New Side).  
 1921  April  24  Arrival of first passenger train in Nemacolin.  
 1921  February  18  Completion of the water tank on the Old Side.  
 1921  March  3  First movie shown at new theater.  
 1921  March  3  50 double houses (100 units) of the 3rd Addition completed.  
 1921  Summer    Establishment of Nemacolin Presbyterian Church.  
 1921  September  2  First house ready for occupancy in 4th Addition.  
 1922  April  1  "Hunky Strike" lasts until Feb. 17, 1923.  
 1923  March  8  Construction starts on 50 double houses in the 5th Addition.  
 1923  Summer    Catholic services start at Huston’s School on Jew Hill.  
 1924  August  7  2nd addition completed on Nemacolin Grade School.  
 1928  December  25  First Mass in Our Lady of Consolation by Father Martin.  
 1931  December  1  The Charles Ruttenburg building destroyed by fire.  
 1933  December  2  UMW Ladies' riot - Tear Gas Routs Miners.  
 1933  July  31  “March of the Miners” Carmichaels to Jew Hill.  
 1934  July  2  Talking movies at the Nemacolin Theatre.  
 1937  February    Bishop Boyle appoints Rev. Simko as Pastor of Catholic Church.  
 1938  April  9  Aerial tram begins operation dumping a 120 ft3 bucket of slate.  
 1945  September  2  Honor Roll Dedication Ceremony.  
 1946  December    Formation of Nemacolin Inc. 431 houses; $800,000  
 1946  December  31  1290 miners employed at Nemacolin Mine.  
 1950  May  30  Opening of the Nemacolin Pool.  
 1950  August  13  Nemacolin Pool Dedication Ceremony.  
 1951  September  30  Dedication of the Nemacolin Presbyterian Church building.  
 1955      Movie theater closed.  
 1957      Community building demolished.  
 1961 December  30  Fire damages Roman Catholic church in Nemacolin.  
 1962  February  7  Fire destroys Nemacolin Post Office building.  
 1971  March  26  Nemacolin mine fire - two miners and a PA State inspector dead.  
 1977      Nemacolin Pool closes after the swimming season.  
 1977  September  19  Black Monday; Youngstown Sheet and Tube closes, furloughing 5,000 workers.  
 1986  August    Nemacolin Mine closes permanently.  
 1993  May    Nemacolin Elementary School destroyed by fire.  
 2000  December    LTV files for bankruptcy.  
2020 April   © Copyright Nemacolin.net; 2020, E. L. Morofsky.